How to: Install a Hot Water Heater with SharkBite
Enable Performance and Targeting Cookies to view this content. Update your cookie settings to view this content.
How to Install Flexible Water Heater Connectors
Water heaters are a crucial component in home comfort. However, they are often difficult to access, located in confined spaces or tight closets. SharkBite flexible water heater hoses allow pros to streamline water heater installations since they:
Work in tight spaces
Easily connect water heaters with existing pipes that don’t line up
Have the versatility to connect the water heater to almost any pipe material
SharkBite hot water heater connections are approved for use on electric or gas water heaters with a flu vent.
Braided vs. Corrugated Water Heater Hoses
SharkBite offers both braided and corrugated flexible water heater hoses with or without ball valves. Water heater hoses with ball valves provide a shut-off on the supply side of the water heater. Check your local plumbing codes to see if hard piping to your water heater is required. Stainless Steel corrugated connectors can be used as an alternative to hard piping.
Installing a SharkBite Water Heater Hose
- First, identify the pipe material.
- Measure the distance from the hot and cold supply lines to the water heater to choose the correct length connector.
- Cut the pipe as cleanly and squarely as possible. Be sure the pipe is free of scratches and debris. If you are handling copper pipe, remove any sharp edges or burrs on the pipe.
- Next, use your SharkBite Deburr & Gauge tool to measure and mark the insertion depth on your pipe.
- Hand tighten the female connector onto the pipe nipple and then give a quarter turn with a wrench, be sure not to overtighten. Do I need to use thread tape? No. SharkBite water heater connectors use a gasket to seal onto the water heater pipe nipples, so thread tape is not required.
- Push the fitting to the insertion mark you just made. Repeat on the hot water outlet side.
- Finally, turn on your water and check the hot water heater connections. If you notice water dripping from the pipe nipple connection use a wrench to further tighten.
Using SharkBite to install a hot water heater is fast, efficient and reliable. The field-proven design of our hot water heater connections is simple, secure and versatile enough to match all your installation requirements.