How To: Wrap SharkBite Fittings for Underground Installation
SharkBite push-to-connect fittings are made of brass, which is susceptible to corrosion when exposed to severe ground conditions. To use SharkBite brass fittings underground and maintain the 25-year warranty, they must be wrapped for any underground application.
How to Wrap SharkBite Fittings for Underground Installation
- After making a connection, lay the pipe in place to determine how much silicone wrap is needed.
- While leaving the protective seal intact, wrap the silicone around the fitting. Start at least 1 in. above the fitting and overlap 1/2 in. around the fitting until 1 in. of pipe is covered on the opposite side.
- Unwrap, cut the piece of silicone you need and then wrap the fitting using the same technique as above. As you work your way around the fitting, peel away the protective seal to enable the wrap to bond with itself.
- Avoid pipe damage through abrasion or impact by removing rocks and debris from the dirt before backfilling.
- Begin backfilling until the pipe is completely buried.
- Once the pipe is covered and the ditch is sealed, consult the local code for specific application requirements.
Note: The silicone wrap will bond to itself within minutes and will cement in a couple of hours.
Read more: Using SharkBite Underground