How To: Install Large Diameter SharkBite Fittings
Large diameter fittings are the largest SharkBite fittings we offer and range from 1-1/4 - 2 in. sizes. They are typically used in commercial settings and offer the same push-to-connect technology as smaller SharkBite fittings, with the same level of certifications, performance and reliability. No tools are required, and the fittings can be installed in wet lines, even under full flow.
How to Install SharkBite Large Diameter Push-to-Connect Fittings
- Identify the pipe material. SharkBite large diameter fittings are compatible with PEX, copper, CPVC and HDPE pipe. If installing PEX or HDPE pipe, a tube stiffener is required and sold separately.
- Cut the pipe cleanly and squarely. Be sure the pipe is free of scratches or debris. If you’re working with copper pipe, use your deburr and gauge tool to remove any sharp edges or burrs on the pipe. Failing to deburr the pipe properly can cause the fitting to fail.
- Measure and mark the insertion depth. Using your deburr and gauge tool, measure and mark the proper insertion depth on your pipe.
- Make the connection. Push the fitting to the insertion mark on the pipe. Now, turn on the water and check the connection.
Removing SharkBite Large Diameter Fittings
SharkBite large diameter fittings can be removed and re-used if changes are necessary. To remove the fitting:
- Snap the correctly sized disconnect clip onto the pipe and align the lugs on the fitting.
- Push the clip in and rotate it counterclockwise until the clip is locked in place.
- Remove the pipe from the fitting and twist the clip again to remove it from the fitting.
After this, the fitting is ready to re-use. However, any fitting removed repeatedly must not be used for a permanent installation.